As a measure to end beggary, the city has been selected by Centre as one of the top 10 big cities to prepare and implement national-level action plan to put a full stop to beggary. The result will be that beggars will not be seen in the city making Indore one of the first 10 beggar-free cities of India. 

rehabilitation of beggars- IndoreHD
Image Source

The campaign, expected to be launched by April, will cover identification, rehabilitation, provision of medical facilities, counselling, education, skill development and sustainable settlement of people engaged in begging. Participation of other stakeholders including state government, local bodies and NGOs are sought by the Union government. 

In response, state social justice department has appointed Indore Municipal Corporation (IMC) as ‘nodal agency’ to establish coordination with departments concerned including woman and child development department (WCD), police and Childline for comprehensive rehabilitation of people currently engaged in begging and to ensure that every person has right to live a life of dignity.

women and child development department Indore- IndoreHD
Image Source

As per popular sources in the city, the children who are found engaged in begging is provided accommodation in three orphanages of the city. This is taken care of by WCD. For beggars above 60 years of age, social justice department takes the responsibility for providing shelters but those shelters are in dilapidated condition and have given admission only to a few beggars in the last couple of years. However, there is no shelter to accommodate people beyond these categories. 

beggarrs on the street of Indore- IndoreHD
Image Source

On receiving Centre’s plan and instructions from the state government, the district administration has planned a meeting of members of rescue teams to take their suggestions in making action plan while another meeting will be held on February 7 of associations of industries and other departments concerned to help to make a rehabilitation plan for beggars.

protect children from begging- IndoreHD
Image Source

The district administration had formed two separate teams in coordination with WCD, Integrated Child Protection Scheme (ICPS), social workers, Childline, Special Juvenile Police Unite (SJPU), labour department and police of the concerned areas to launch a campaign to rescue beggars.

educate children begging on streets- IndoreHD
Image Source

If we look at the statistics, in the last four months, joint teams have rescued around 100 children engaged in begging and labour.

In this project, 60 per cent funding will be done by the Union government whilst the other 40 per cent share is expected from the state government.

(Statistic inputs from TOI)
Featured Image

As we read above how Indore is on a mission to make the city Beggar free and rehabilitate the beggars. Also, they are protecting the city through its length and breadth by putting up the CCTV cameras in each corner of the city. Read to know more, here

Comments

Related Posts

आज सुबह रेसीडेंसी कोठी में इंदौर कलेक्टर ने बुलाई थी बैठक। सांसद शंकर लालवानी व भाजपा के वरिष्ठ नेता ...
iHDteam
July 12, 2020
इंदौर जिले में प्रत्येक रविवार को नगरीय क्षेत्र में पूर्ण लॉकडाउन/कर्फ्यू रहेगा। कलेक्टर एवं जिला ...
iHDteam
July 11, 2020
इंदौर शहर में उनलॉक २ के बाद लगभग पूरा शहर ही खुल चूका है , परन्तु बीते कुछ दिनों में ये देखा जा रहा ...
iHDteam
July 11, 2020
X